Carbon Monoxide risks

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
What is it?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous and odorless gas that cannot be seen or smelled and that can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by appliances that are not used properly or that are malfunctioning. Even more people die from carbon monoxide produced from idling cars. Carbon monoxide can build up so quickly that victims are overcome before they can get help.

Once inhaled, carbon monoxide:

·         Decreases the capacity of blood to carry oxygen

·         Can cause permanent brain damage

·         Can cause chest pains or heart attacks in people with heart disease

Symptoms

·         Headache

·         Dizziness

·         Fatigue

·         Weakness

·         Confusion

·         Nausea

 

If you suspect someone has been poisoned by carbon monoxide:

·         Move the person to a place with fresh air immediately.

·         Take the person to an emergency room and tell them that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.

For more on Carbon Monoxide prevention…

Scroll to Top